CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 29, 2010

N.Y.C. Light Beam Lipgloss

[LightBeamSign+FPO.jpg]

Several months ago my friend got several Rimmel Light Beam After Dark Lipglosses. They're slightly chunky squares with a small mirror on the side and an LED light in the cap that can be turned on but a small button in the cap. While they are a little on the tacky gimmicky side I really liked the idea and thought it would be handy to have one kicking around my purse is soley for the light and mirror. Yes I don't really NEED a light to put lip gloss on, but it could be useful in dark bathrooms and clubs etc. I've been looking (somewhat passively) so them ever since she got them but never manged to find one.

Rimmel Light Beam After Dark Lipgloss $6-8

Enter New York Colors (N.Y.C.). During my idle visit to Wal-Mart Saturday I saw a small display of NYC lipglosses on sale. The N.Y.C. Light Beam Lipgloss looks exactly like the Rimmel version, but only $2.50 instead of $6+. I have no idea what they normally retail at, they aren't even listed on the N.Y.C. site when I looked just now, so I take this to mean they are discontinued? Anyways, for that price I grabbed one, not even expecting much out of the lipgloss itself but just for the sake of having a little emergency light and mirror in my bag. A clear gloss would have been ideal but they didn't have any so I picked up a light pink shade called Runway Lights.

N.Y.C. Light Beam Lipgloss $2.50
Little mirror on the side

Small light power button on cap

With the LED light in the cap on

Small LED light in upper left corner of cap, not on.

Overall the packaging seems a little clunky for me. The square shape is a little thick and squat, but it's lightweight. The lipgloss smells wonderful, like bubble gum! Application is on the sheer side, but still a noticeable shine and a little sparkle without being middle schooly glittery. The consistency is a little sticky but not too thick. It doesn't spread well and it took me a lot of dips back into the bottle to apply a coat all over my lips. Between the tasteyness, texture, and fainter color the staying power is pretty limited, but once again I didn't really buy this for the gloss. Overall I'm happy with it and got exactly what I expected; a fun handy container and some run of the mill gloss.

A very sheer nude color on the lips.

Packaging: 4 of 5
Smell: 5 of 5
Color: 4 of 5
Consistency: 3.5 of 5
Staying Power: 2.5 of 5
Buy again?: For the same price, Yes.

1 comments:

Emilyanne said...

That actually looks better than the Rimmel gloss. The light-up thing is cool, but the lipgloss itself its actually really thin and unnoticeable.